Excelsior College is a private, not-for-profit institution of higher learning located in Albany, New York. It focuses on providing high quality education to adult learning, especially those who are historically underrepresented in postsecondary education. Its values include accessibility and completion, excellence, trustworthiness, equity and inclusion, affordability, and collaboration. Excelsior offers over 30 degree and certificate programs through its five schools of education: School of Business, School of Liberal Arts, School of Health Sciences, School of Public Service, School of Nursing, and School of Technology. Each school features committed advisors that promote educational success and provide relevant programs to help students achieve their career goals and advancement.
The New York Board of Regents founded Excelsior College in 1971. It was originally known the Regents External Degree Program. It was initially funded by major grants providing by the Carnegie Corporation and the Ford Foundation. The program changed its name to Regents College in 1986. From its founding until 1998, the college functioned as a program of the Board of Regents. It also operated under the authority of the University of the State of New York, which granted the degrees and diplomas. In 1998, the college was awarded a charter to function as a private, nonprofit, independent school. In 2001, the college officially became Excelsior College. Today, the college is governed by an independent board of trustees and it home to more than 36,000 students.
Excelsior College Accreditation Details
The Middle States Commission on Higher Education regionally accredits Excelsior College to grant associate, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs.
The online nursing programs are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing and the online business programs are accredited by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education.
Excelsior College Application Requirements
- Complete and submit the undergraduate application
- Submit official high school transcript
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions of higher learning
- Submit official SAT or ACT scores
- Complete any additional requirements for certain programs
- Submit nonrefundable $50 application fee
- Complete and submit the online graduate application
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities
- Submit official graduate level test scores, like the GRE or GMAT if required by specific programs
- Complete any additional application requirements for certain programs
- Submit nonrefundable $50 application fee
Tuition and Financial Aid
Undergraduate and Veteran Tuition
- All non-nursing undergraduate programs: $510 per credit hour
- Nursing undergraduate program: $510 per credit hour, plus various examination fees
All graduate programs: $645 per credit hour
- All undergraduate courses: $250 per credit hour
- All graduate courses: $295 per credit hour
Excelsior College offers an array of financial aid options to assist students in paying for their college education. The options include scholarships, grants, and loans.
- Alumni Association Fund
- AXA Foundation Scholarship Fund
- Summo Endowment Fund
- Board of Trustees 40th Anniversary Scholarship Endowment Fund
- Citizens Bank Scholarship Fund
- Excelsior College Scholarship Endowment Fund
- Partners in Lifelong Learning Scholarship
- Presidents Partner Scholarship
- Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship
- Excelsior College Veterans Endowment Fund
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- New York Aid to Part-Time Students
- Vietnam Veterans Tuition Assistance and Persian Gulf Veterans Tuition Assistance
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Part-Time Tuition Assistance Program
- Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loa
- Federal Direct PLUS Loan
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
Online Degrees Available
Excelsior College offers a wide variety of online master's degree programs. The Master's of Business Administration in Mediation and Arbitration provides students the necessary understanding and training to manage and resolve conflicts in the workplace. Students gain vital conflict management skills to effectively handle alternative dispute resolution situations. Students complete courses based on the Mediation Without Borders Institute curriculum. The program requires the completion of 35 to 45 credit hours, depending on the prior learning experiences of individual students. The core courses include economics, quantitative analysis, organizational behavior, mediation, workplace conflict resolution, and arbitration. After completion of the program students possess the ability to use various mediation methods to resolve conflict, evaluate the impact of conflict on interpersonal relationships and organizations, and apply arbitration models to effectively resolve conflicts. Upon finishing the program students are able to take the Professional Certification Examination.
The Master's of Science in Management in Human Resource Management provides students with knowledge in the design and administration of employee compensation, benefits, and related topics within various organizations. Students gain the ability to effectively manage relationships between employees, employers, and unions. They learn about collective bargaining and acquire skills in advocacy, conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation. The program requires the completion of at least 30 graduate level credits. The core courses include organizational communication, ethics for managers, organizational behavior, human resource management, employee staffing and development, labor relations and conflict resolution, and compensation and benefits. Students must also complete a capstone course in strategic management.
The Master's of Science in Health Sciences in Public Health provides students with the ability to gain knowledge and abilities in the multi-faceted area of public health. Students learn how to protect the health of the population, prevent issues from occurring, and promote health-related policies and programs. The program requires the completion of 36 credit hours. The core courses include introduction to epidemiology, behavioral health and social environment, vulnerable populations, program planning and evaluation for public health, and critical issues in public health. After finishing the program students will be able to use various strategies to communication complex ideas, implement specialized knowledge and abilities, use understanding of health care policy to lead professional practice, and evaluate public health issues and challenges.
The Master's of Science in Nursing Education provides students with the knowledge and skills to function as nursing leaders to promote holistic patient-centered health care. Students learn to combine theoretical and empirical knowledge from nursing and related areas. Students must complete at least 38 credit hours to finish the program. The core courses include advanced pharmacology, advanced pathophysiology, advanced physical assessment, assessment and evaluation in nursing education, designing a learning environment, and program and curriculum development in nursing education. Students must also complete a nursing education capstone. After completion of the Master of Science in Nursing Education from Excelsior College, students will have the ability to incorporate the role of nurses with master's degree as part of the inter-professional healthcare team.